Working obliques is the best way to define these muscles. Both men and women can strengthen the core and improve the definition of the oblique abdominals with specific exercises for this area. If you want to show off a flat and well-defined stomach for a more attractive torso and to strengthen functional muscles for life and for better performance in other sports practices, do not hesitate. Including these 5 oblique exercises in your routine is what you need.
Why define oblique abs with specific exercises
Training obliques is key to showing off a more attractive torso
Aesthetics may not be what matters most to you, but it is one of the reasons why working obliques is something that many men and women do regularly. And it may be obvious, but well-defined obliques improve the appearance of those who wear them. So if you want a figure without a stomach and a well defined torso, working your oblique abs with exercises is something you should not give up.
Obliques are essential for a strong body and avoiding injury
A multitude of movements and actions typical of daily life would be lighter with strong obliques . Carrying the own weight of the body, of the purchase or of a baby, for example, loads the back less with well-developed obliques. Something key to minimizing the risk of injury to the lower back. Therefore strengthening your oblique abs with exercises including these in your regular training routine is a smart decision.
Developed oblique abs contribute to greater well-being
Do you usually suffer from discomfort or pain in the lower back? Do you feel like you need to better coordinate your breathing when training? Looking for better body stability? Working obliques will help you in all these issues for greater well-being and an improvement of your body at different levels.
Working oblique abdominals with specific exercises allows you to improve your body for the practice of different sports
Training obliques is also key to preparing the body for better performance in the practice of different sports . For example, for the execution of the fast turns typical of basketball, boxing or mixed martial arts. And for better trunk stability when running, cycling or rollerblading, among others. Therefore, including oblique exercises in your training routine will help you improve your sports performance.
5 exercises to get defined oblique abs
If you are looking to strengthen, develop and define oblique abdominals with exercises, these are the 5 essentials that you should include in your training routine. From your current state of form, your goals and the time you have for sports practice will depend on the number of repetitions to be executed of each exercise. Rest 10 seconds between exercises or 30 between sets.
1.- Step by step lateral plank to train obliques
- Lie on your side on the floor on a mat supporting a forearm and knee on the same side on the floor. You should keep both at ninety degrees of flexion. For a correct starting position and the proper performance of the exercise, keep the nose, the center of the chest, the navel and the central space between both knees in a straight line.
- Supporting only the forearm and the side of the feet, lift yourself gently without losing the imaginary line drawn in the starting position of the nose and legs.
- Hold the position for a few seconds before descending to the starting position.
For this exercise, the ideal is to hold the position for 10 seconds . Although in the first trainings according to your state of form you are less ambitious and reduce these by half. 3 sets of 10 reps is a goal to meet.
2.- Press pallof on pulley, essential in a routine to work oblique abdominals with effective exercises.
It is a very intense exercise . As you improve your performance you can include a greater load to train obliques.
- Stand with your legs shoulder-width apart, legs slightly bent, and good stability. Hold the pulley with both hands, sticking them towards the chest.
- Separate yourself from the pulley to create tension, moving your arms away and closer to the pulley. The pulley exerts a force that you must counteract by preventing it from rotating when you rotate your torso. Pull the rubber forward without altering the position for higher intensity work. The buttock and abdomen must be active.
You can vary the starting position when executing these oblique exercises. For example, putting one leg forward. Or performing a series in a kneeling position.
3.- Climbers to train obliques
· Adopt the same starting position as if you were going to do a bottom, leaving the arms straight and the body aligned straight.
· Raise one leg off the ground and swing it toward the center of your torso in a precise and quick motion.
· Return to the starting position to execute the movement with the opposite leg.
Rest 10 seconds between exercises. Doing two sets of 10 exercises is a good way to start improving your oblique abs with these exercises.
4.- Oblique abdominal
· Lie on a mat in a plank position resting on the right side of your body but with your arms turned and one fist in front of the other.
· Keep one arm in front of the other and extend one of them to the side until it touches the ground.
· Return to the starting position and perform the exercise with the other arm.
After completing a series of 10, rest for 30 seconds and do another series but now leaning on the left side of the body.
5.- Butterfly abs
· Lie down with the soles of your feet together and your knees open to each side.
· Keep your arms resting on the floor behind your head.
· Perform a normal crunch so that the arms go over the feet.
Work your oblique abs with exercises including these in your regular training routine . In a short time you will begin to notice the benefits of its strengthening.