Eight steps to keep your immune system strong
Social isolation and other measures recommended by Health cause a feeling of uncertainty in everyone and, therefore, it is important to be calm and listen to who really knows.
Unlike some irresponsible YouTubers and Instagrammers, who live determined to make homemade concoctions with essential oils to which they attribute miraculous bactericidal properties, many serious disseminators these days strive to give away valuable advice to face a situation as unusual as -paradoxically- simple to live.
Measures to stop the contagion curve
Being at home, washing your hands well and frequently, maintaining a safe distance … We know these measures and we must put them into practice – all in one – to flatten the curve of contagion by COVID-19. Then there are ways to keep the immune system strong to avoid contagion.
It is one of the star topics in networks these days: what to do to keep our system strong, quasi-shielded from the proliferation of any infection. Although it is a utopia to think that everything is in our hands, any effort is little to maintain our health, as far as we can.
Sport and good nutrition
Ismael Galancho, Diploma in Physical Education, researcher, teacher, master’s degree in nutrition and health, personal trainer and dietician, accepting that he is not an expert in virology and epidemiology, put his grain of sand on Instagram to add to the first-line measures adopted to prevent the spread of Coronavirus others that you do understand (and a lot): exercise and good nutrition.
“Keeping your immune system in optimal conditions is key, not only to be more resistant to the virus but so that, in case of being infected, the physiological impact is less, with less duration, milder symptoms or, in some cases of advanced age, prevent death, “he explained.
And what needs to be done, according to him, to keep the immune system in good condition?
-Feed yourself properly
“Now more than ever it is essential to acquire healthy habits (and to be able to never stop them) ”, he concluded.
Being practical, knowing that many of us are teleworking and some with children at home, it is advisable to exercise at home or outdoors, keeping our distance.
“Of course, eat healthily, rest and if you catch it, calm down and calm down, anxiety and stress do not help,” Galancho pointed out.
Eight Tips to Keep Your Immune System Strong
He said that our own health depends on our immune system, its strength, and its ability to fight against all kinds of viral threats.
The Dr. Luis Lopez Tallaj *, antiaging medicine specialist and member of the Spanish Society of Anti – Aging Medicine and Longevity, SEMAL, based on the three pillars of the antiaging -Food, exercise- sleep and leaves us these tips to strengthen our immune system:
- Sleep and sleep well: The quality of sleep is vital for health and maintaining it over time is very important to fight against aging and maintain good mental health, as well as an alert immune system.
- Learn to eat naturally. Yes, find out about the harm that ultra-processed foods, refined sugar, soft drinks, and sweetened beverages, including juices and smoothies for children, pose to our defenses in particular and to our health in general. It is essential to discard them from our shopping list. Every day we become more aware that they are not only unhealthy but that they make us sick.
- In the shopping basket, more fruits, vegetables, seasonal fish (especially, foods that have a high index of vitamins C, D, and A, beta carotenes, in addition to those rich in Omega acids, such as pomegranate, orange, avocado, sardine, tomato, spinach, ginger, and lean meats) and less pork, red meats, and alcohol.
- No prepared snacks and appetizers.
- Sports practice is important. Flee from a sedentary lifestyle and develop some aerobic activity. Walking is a good example for all ages as it is a complete exercise and encourages contact with the outdoors.
- Seeking help in case of stress, anxiety, and other nervous problems, which weaken the immune system, leave us defenseless against disease and age us. Mindfulness seeks mindfulness to remove the mind from the constant noise of problems. It’s about finding a resting point for brain activity. Yoga, meditation, or activities like coloring, writing, or hobbies can be of great help.
- Not tobacco. One of the most harmful substances and increasingly related to high mortality rates throughout the planet. In cases such as the coronavirus and others related to the respiratory system, it can lengthen the disease. If the person is older and a smoker, it can modify the severity of the diagnosis.
- Finally, protection against external aggressions is also very important. Sunscreen must accompany us all year round, with regard to the harmful effect of ultraviolet rays, and we must be careful with regard to the damage of pollution. The masks, now present on the streets due to the coronavirus, can be useful when playing sports in cities with high levels of pollution.